<VV> LED Headlamps no Corvair

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Mon May 12 20:42:28 EDT 2008

HID is still more efficient, by a BUNCH! It puts out about 90 lumens per watt, whereas power LEDs suitable for headlights are doing about 25 lumens per watt, which is about what a low voltage halogen does. Agreed, the electronics are pretty sophisticated for HID, but they are efficient. LEDs, to be efficient, also require a PWM current regulator so as not to burn away power through a wasteful current limiting resistor. Cooler? Not yet, maybe never. LEDs simply cannot radiate away heat, because the acceptable non destructive temperatures are too low. It has to be dissipated by conduction or convection. HID and halogen operate at such high temperatures that most of the heat they generate is radiated out with the light. Longevity isn't much of an issue with HID, as the projected life span is several times that of halogens, and for most users, will outlast the car. And due to the high cost of LEDs, they are rather overdriven to keep the installation costs down. Shame, because most power LEDs are most efficient at around half of max rated power.

Cost? Well, LEDs are DAMN expensive on a $ per lumen basis. HID is next, and halogens are dirt cheap! LEDs are getting cheaper, but the lower floor is limited to a rather high level due to the more complex construction compared to either HID or halogens. HID bulbs are actually VERY simple!