<VV> Canadian Winter Rally

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Mon May 12 20:59:21 EDT 2008

I have some original materials from the '65 Canadian Winter Rally
that I need to deliver to the Corvair historical collection.  This is
material provided Terry Lynn Benson who piloted a '65 Corsa in that rally.

Unfortunately for your Australian friend, the rally was February 12
-14, 1965.  I don't know of any '65 model year cars involved in
international rally driving earlier than that.

FYI, the rally conditions were "appalling" that year.  Out of the 132
cars that started, only 23 finished and unfortunately Benson's
Corvair was not one of them.  They made it about 200 miles into the
rally, a point at which 80 cars had already dropped out, when they
stopped to help out another competitor driving a Ferrari that had
gotten stuck.  An Austin Healey, followed by a Porsche and a VW all
ended up plowing into the back of the Corvair.  That finally put them
out of the rally.  But they had fought horrendous icing conditions
that froze up both the brakes and accelerator linkage -- not a great
combination.  Terry Benson figured that they were carrying a thousand
pounds of ice on and under that car!

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair