<VV> FC Drop Spindles and Disc Brakes

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Tue May 13 12:25:19 EDT 2008

I was hoping to take pictures as I went along with this conversion and write
something up for everyone, but time constraints got in the way and I had to
blast through the project.  16hours straight through will do that to a
person.....

At any rate.  The Heidt 55-57 Chevy drop spindles and disc brakes are now on
the front of my Rampy.

I can positively say that they will fit on an FC with one small
modification.

The lower ball joint on an FC is the same as a '58-64 full size Chev, not
the '55-57 Chev.  Using the tri-5 spindles requires having the lower ball
joint hole on the drop spindle reamed out to the larger size.  My local
machine shop had to make a fitting for their reamer so the press could
operate the reamer by passing through the top hole of the spindle.

I did not investigate whether or not it would have been easier or even
possible to just replace the lower ball joints with the 55-57 units.

The FC steering arms bolt on with no issues to the Heidt spindle.  It is the
main reason I choose the Heidt spindles, as others out there have the arms
cast into the spindle.

This kit uses either the 80 Malibu or 82-90 S-10 calipers and disc
brakes/hub assembly.  The main problem I had was that the S-10 brake hoses
are only 12" long, and not suitable for the FC.  Something around 15" is
more suitable.

I'm still not 100% satisfied with the M/C set up, and I'm a little leary of
giving detailed instructions for the braking system.  However, I will say
I've put a 2# residual valve on the front circut and a 10# residual valve
and proportioning valve on the rear circut.

I hope others will find this useful.  Perhaps Heidt will modify their units
to offer it as a '61-65 Corvair FC kit. <g>

Regards,
Joel