<VV> [SCG] "last Corvair built" and Charlie

chevrobilia at juno.com chevrobilia at juno.com
Tue May 13 17:33:17 EDT 2008

Hi,
Yes, Bill, I know all about it. The whole story is in "1969 Fingertip Facts", the book that Mark Ellis and I did about 1969 Vairs. The book was published by Clark's Corvair and is available through them.
This is a story that just won't die. The car is indeed 5214, and is the last Corvair sold by GM, but not the last one built. It was the last of a group of '69 Corvairs retained by GM, and was offered at auction to Chevy dealers in 1975.
Unfortunately a letter accompanied the car, stating that "regardless of serial number" it was the last Corvair built. The Chevy sales department executive who wrote the letter has admitted that the car was not the last one, not only to me but to an internal GM auditor who made him sign another letter to that effect. The bottom line was that he misinterpreted what was told to him by Chevy's manufacturing manager, who also told me that the car was just the last Vair that GM sold.
It's interesting that RM auctions contacted Mark last month, asking about the authenticity of the car. Mark told them the real story and thought they believed and understood it. RM is selling the car for Art Astor, would never accept what we had to say about 5214. I suspect that what he had paid for the car made the truth a bitter pill to swallow and he didn't want to devalue his investment.
Likewise, RM probably hopes to get a lot more for the car by perpetuating the myth. They're guilty of false advertising as far as I'm concerned.
Dave Newell

-- Wrsssatty at aol.com wrote:
The current (June '08) issue of Hemmings includes an ad listing "the last
Corvair built" to be auctioned at RM Auctions.  I called and was told it's  #
5214.  Does anyone know what the story is here?  If you want to call  them, the
number is: (800) 211-4371.

BTW, Guess who else is advertising Corvairs now in Hemmings?  Our very  own
Charlie!  His ad reads:

"CORVAIR, Corvair, Corvair, since 1961, send SASE with inquiry. Corvair,
Corvair, Corvair, "   Well, you already know the address!

~Bill Stanley

favorites at AOL Food.
This message was sent by the SCG-list mailing list, all copyrights are the property
of the writer, please attribute properly. For help, mailto:scg-list-help at corvair.org
Post messages to: SCG-list at tiger.skiblack.com
Change your options: http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/scg-list
Get further information about SCG at http://members.cox.net/stock_corvair_group/