<VV> LED Headlamps WARNING, GEEK ALERT!!

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed May 14 07:39:08 EDT 2008

First of all, they are NOT xenon headlamps, they are metal halide HID lamps. And the efficiency is, in fact, documented. Forget the handwaving and look at the numbers. 3200 lumens for 35 watts for HID (about 92 lumens per watt), as compared to 1000 lumens for 55 watts with halogens (less than 20 lumens per watt). As of today, LEDs can do MAYBE 25 lumens per watt at the kind of power levels used for headlamps. These are system efficiencies, not just the lamps. And yes, LEDs DO require 'active' electronics. They need a ballast to efficiently regulate current. HIDs have replaceable bulbs. And as of now, for the same lumens, LEDs don't use any less power than halogens. But there is the Gee Whiz thing!

As far as KISS, well, today's cars are more complex than ever, yet they are more reliable and durable than ever. 200K without any major maintenance is routine, whereas in the 60s, 100K without major maintenance was more the exception.

I suggest?abandoning the hand waving, and explore the links I sent earlier.