<VV> Corvair Production Termination

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 12:34:42 EDT 2008

A couple of notes on your narrative.

It was confirmed at the Detroit convention last year that Pete Estes wanted
the "first" gen Camaro to really be the third gen Corvair, but marketing
prevented that. I imagine that the sketches of "future" Corvairs were just
idle design excercises, and probably not real serious proposals. Had
Ralphie not published his book, what we would have had is a rear-engine
Corvair for two generations, and a conventional drive Corvair for another
five+ generations. So you are right that we can thank Ralphie for giving us
the '67-9 Corvairs, arguably the best of the best (IMHO).

For the record, the Valiant was discontinued before the 1970 model year,
while the Falcon WAS produced for '70. It was an odd model year for it, as
the first part of the year it was issued with the original compact body,
while the latter part of the year, the nameplate was pasted onto a stripper
Torino body. Afterwards, the nameplate vanished from the US, only to be
carried on in Austrailia.

In between the demise of the Corvair in '69 and the front drive X-car
(Citation, Phoenix, Omega, etc.) the Willow Run plant produced the
conventional drive Nova, etc. for about 10 years. The front drive X-car was
introduced in early '79 as an early '80 model. The really compact market
(which is where marketing wanted the Corvair to be) was filled thru the
'70's with the Vega, then its derivitive the Monza.

-Mark

Valiant
> went out of production by about the '72 model year, if I remember
correctly.
> The Corvair was expensive to build.  Lower profit margin than either the
> Chevy II or Camaro.  What would it have cost to make a high cost car
conform
> to the pending and proposed Federal regulations.  Why try, when
traditional
> configurations, being a know quanity, can be made to work and build
cheaper?
> Which is mostly the reason there's no mid-engined Corvette.  And probably
> never will be.  We all know, assuming we all have been paying attention to
> the big picture(s), Corvette staff have tried often enough!
>
> Three of the X-bodies were produced at Willow Run.  The Chevy, Old & Buick
> versions were done there, the Pontiac someplace else.  And No!, I neither
> know or care where "someplace else" was.  Those at the '79 CORSA
Convention
> in Detroit had the chance to visit Willow Run and see the X-bodies go down
> the line.  Ken has totally missed the cars between the Corvair/Chevy II in
> his time line.  Oh Wait!!  Vega's and Monza's!!  They were forgettable
> (except for the Cosworth Vega, another chance GM missed), so he is
forgiven.

> Historically Yours,
> 			James Rice

> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 11:06:52 GMT
> From: "kenpepke at juno.com" <kenpepke at juno.com>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Re Why 6000?
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> But Fisher Body was well into producing a 1970 Corvair ... The 'carry
over'
> parts (Those that would be used unchanged from 1969) were determined
> and new body parts for the changed rear end were being planned.  These
> parts included the deck lid, rear end panels and crossmember pieces that
> resembled a sort of squared off Buick Rivera 'boat tail' with the inside
> tail
> lights and the center portion of the rear bumper moving rearward several
> inches.  I had jumped to the conclusion that an 8 cylinder engine was to
be
> offered for 1970 but Chevy engineer and long time Detroit Area Corvair
Club

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/