<VV> #5999, was: Happy Corvair Day

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Thu May 15 09:47:31 EDT 2008

For everyone's information, no moving film (to my knowledge) was shot of
the last Corvairs coming off the line, just still shots, and they were
random. The local plant had opened the time to the press, and were
surprised that as many turned out as did.

Also, #5999 did NOT have its original engine repaired, but rather, the
factory simply called down the road to the service warehouse and ordered in
a crate motor. The original engine was yanked and replaced, and the car was
delivered to the dealer on May 21, just seven days after being built. I
also talked to the sales manager that personally delivered it to Mr. Boyer,
and received his tale about the car.

A little anomole I discovered during my ownership. The engine has two left
side heater elbows (mounts on the front of the engine shrouds, hose
attaches to it) on the car. The "right" side elbow was a left side elbow,
modified to mount on the right side by bending a screw tab and punching a
sheet metal screw into the shroud. The shroud still had black paint
plugging the weldnut. I once "corrected" it, but then later returned it to
"as delivered" condition.

I have copies of all the car's documentation, as does the CPF.

-Mark Corbin (last private owner of #5999)