<VV> E-85 and my new engine

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Sat May 17 03:02:30 EDT 2008

That all depends on how long you want it to run.  The ethanol is
extremely corrosive to mild steel fuel lines and fuel tanks in our
Corvairs and the elastomers (rubber bits) in the fuel system doesn't
hold up well to it either.  Sure if you jet the carbs big enough, it
will run pretty well for a while, but after a while (months, few
years) you'll have done some serious damage.

The bigger question is WHY?  The volumetric energy content is only
about 2/3 that of gasoline so the mileage WILL take a big hit compared
to the same engine running on gasoline and jetted to the same exhaust
pipe equivalence ratio (lambda). Anybody who tells you the mileage
drop is minimal is either a corn farmer, lying, careless with the
math, or doesn't understand what's at work.  I guess all the
automakers and the EPA are full of crap when they post fuel
consumption figures for flex fuel vehicles that are on average 35-40%
worse when they run on E85. Ditto for all those dozens of silly
peer-reviewed papers written by SAE authors.

It's amazing how many people get confused and suckered in because the
price is "so cheap".  Well, when you figure it out on a "miles per
dollar" basis rather than "miles per gallon", it's a crappy deal.  And
that's on cars designed to handle to fuel without adverse long term
effects.

I run through the specific energy content calcs (they are simple
math...) and current flex fuel car fuel econ data if anybody cares.
E85 is a boondoggle and a bad deal for the consumer, even with the
huge subsidies it is given.  The one exception might be if you
purpose-built a car for it and took advantage of the high octane for
high boost or high compression ratio and viewed it as merely a
performance enabler, rather than something that makes economic sense.

Jim Burkhard
Fuel Injection Engineer