<VV> Oil Warmers/Block Heaters

Bill Kronen billpat at telusplanet.net
Mon May 19 01:28:24 EDT 2008

Folks in most parts of Canada and the northern states are most familiar
with the need for some kind of engine preheaters or at least warmers.
We tend to forget that  those in the lower, lower 48 don't have much
need for them but when temps drop down to -30Celsius or Fahrenheit or
more, you better have some kind of  engine heater. They do vary from the
normal block heater mentioned that were placed in a freze plug location
to older percolaytor types placed in a water line.  These were my
personal favorite as they gave you warm circulating water from the get
go.  The picture shared is of an oil pan attachment that gave the
Corvair warmer oil to start with on cold, cold mornings.  Obvious
advantages for all friction surfaces.  You can add to all the engine
types, electric battery blankets to keep your 12V battery up to snuff,
In Car warmers to keep the seats and dash instruments toasty, and
probably a few others.  Trannys could have benefited from some form of
heater as well.  Had a Ford Fairmont with a 4 speed once and one cold
morning that shifter felt like it was set in concrete. Just one of the
challanges of living in Canada.   A Cessna 185 that I once had the
privilege of flying in far northern Canada year round even had
individual probes in each cylinder as well as an oil pan warmer for its
300hp Continental, air cooled , of course.   Air Conditioning is not
usually one of our concerns.  Ah, but when summer comes, it's beautiful
up here.Unfortunately, the standard joke is that we have 9 months of
winter and 3 months of hard sledding.  Not true, of course, but we love
it just the same.
Bill Kronen
Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
63 Spyder vert, 66 Monza Coupe (Summer Only)