<VV> Can It Really Be That Simple?

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Tue May 20 07:26:34 EDT 2008

Thanks for all the advice.

I would appreciate clarification on the link between the brake pedal and
the master cylinder. Do they come out as a unit? Are snap ring pliers
needed to remove the pedal assembly from the master cylinder?

The car has only been on the island for 3 days. Most of its life was
spent in Connecticut where it was alternately driven as a fun car and
stored as a low mileage original. When it came to the mainland of Maine,
it was owned and used by a restorer/enthusiast; during the winters it
was stored in a barn. The P.O. knew how to store a car properly; from
beneath the car, the gas tank and lines look perfect. I do not know if
the brake lines have be been replaced in the past.

When I drove the car it was to answer their concerns about the brakes,
too. My Monza came to me with a leak in one wheel cylinder; the car
pulled to one side and the fluid level dropped as the brakes were used.
After driving her EM and applying the brakes a lot deliberately, there
was no fluid loss at all. The car always stopped true and straight,
never swerving. And the pedal action mimicked the "hard-harder" test
results.

The current owner has not yet pulled the wheels and drums to look at the
brakes. I don't know if she'll let me do that or will take it to a shop
to do the same.

As for the belt, if the pulleys have rust on them, I could not find any
nor was there any evidence of rust stains on the belt. No, I think it
was installed cold and the car was not run much with the new belt. It
simply stretched a bit.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863