<VV> Can It Really Be That Simple? - belts

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue May 20 15:52:23 EDT 2008

>You should just be able to turn the generator or alternator pulley with your fingers. Too tight is not good.

As long as I'm at it today, I do not agree with this loose belt theory /
fact.  It may keep belts on longer, but it also keeps the fan from
working properly, as well as the alternator, what with them both
slipping -- and with the slippage, you probably replace belts as often
from wearing them out as you would from running the belt with proper
tension (*can't* turn the alt pulley with your fingers) and throwing an
occasional belt.  Yes, that means a roadside replacement job, but there
are few locations where that is not immediately possible, ala Golden
Gate Bridge, Holland Tunnel, etc.

Run 'em tight! Get optimum efficiency from that inefficient fan (i.e.,
keep the engine cool), get maximum efficiency out of your heater system,
and keep your headlights bright with full alternator output being
available.  Oh yeah, keep a couple spare belts, tools, and a working
flashlight available (and if you worry about those things, a pair of
orange coveralls with a safety vest, and some waterless hand cleaner).

And for running with proper tension, I have always preferred a high
quality "cut" belt to the wrapped ones -- less slippage in the pulleys.

Works for me!

Bill Strickland