<VV> Cam Engine

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Wed May 21 16:15:52 EDT 2008

Hopefully, some of you historians (and shall we respectfully say, "more experienced"? <huge grin>) can shed some light on the cammer engine for me.

I've got the cam engine picture as my desktop background.  Just looking at it quickly, I've got a couple of questions.

1. Cooling - there looks to be 3 fans running down the center, running on a common shaft.  I see a whole for the rear fan intake.  Where were the intakes for the other two?  They don't look to be on the rear.  Custom fans?  What kind?  (certainly not a Corvair of any type modified to work)

2. To my untrained eye, the timing belt looks to be one piece, not one running each half.  I also see two tension pulleys, one on both sides.  How could there be enough surface area on the crank gear to not allow the belt to slip?  I've familiar with Honda engines and the timing belt runs over 270 degrees around it.  Guessing there's < 200 around this one.   What's the minimum gear degrees/teeth needed to turn two cams pushing 12 valves?  Of course it depends on the weight it's trying to move, and at what RPM as well... but 'generally' is my question.

3. Can we even verify it ever ran?

4. What happened to this engine?  This pic is so perfect, I almost would bet it's a digital pic, which would imply it still lives somewhere, but I seriously doubt it.  Conjecture appreciated on that one. Seems we would have heard about it.

5. Do parts/plans/drawings exist?  Again, Seems we would have heard about it.

If I had unlimited funds, full machine shop, and experience with CAD/CAM, we'd have one or two of these around!

"Inquiring minds want to know."BarryE in SC
2 lates, 2 earlies