<VV> engine temp crossing the desert

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 21 23:01:33 EDT 2008

Hi Timothy,

We have both types of temperature gauges on our Greenbrier, a stock type
thermister and a thermocouple.  The thermister is always about 75-80 degrees
hotter reading.  I just keep an eye on both and don't worry about anything
until the stock thermister gauge hits 400 degrees.  The reason we have both
types is for comparison in case one starts acting up or appears inaccurate.
I'll ease off once it starts going above 400 and have an absolute maximum of
425 that I never let it hit.  Typical summer temps range from 350-400
degrees for us and we run with lower shrouds, a mag fan and a folded fin
cooler but I do block the recirculation slots with summer/winter plates.
We've been running like that for years.

Our Ultra has 3 !!  One stock thermister type and two thermocouples.  Same
differential on those as well.

As long as the 350 degrees you quoted is from the stock thermister gauge and
you feel it is fairly close to accurate, I wouldn't worry about it.  I'd
take it up to 400 degrees no problem.

I agree with Bill Elliott's comments.  Keep the rpm's up and down shift when
pulling grades.  Don't lug it.

Now, the question is, will you feel comfortable at the ambient temperatures?
That's the reason why I'd travel early morning or middle of the
night....plus you'll get to let your imagination get the best of you
listening to Art Bell/George Noory :)

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

Timothy said:
>I am most concerned with going thru the desert. My cylinder head temp gauge
sits just over 350 while driving.

Bill said
>temps over 300 (measured at the sparkplug... that would be 380-390 at
the stock thermistor location) except on long grades if she let it lug
in high.