<VV> Corvair overhead cam engine

tony.underwood at cox.net tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri May 23 12:45:49 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Clark Hartzel <chartzel at comcast.net>

It is unlikely that one belt drove both heads.  I believe a belt drove
he right side and another belt drove the left side.  If you only had
ne belt you wouldn't need two adjusters!  In my machine tool days we
sed a standard that you need 7 teeth engaged on a timing belt drive to
ransmit the load.  We usually tried for more teeth but 7 would do.
lark Hartzel

For sake of mention, the Astro OHC engine used two cam drive belts, and relatively narrow ones at that.   They ran off a common gilmer pulley that was positioned behind the balancer and were kept in place by guides so as to not ride against one another.   Obviously each belt had its own tension adjust pulley.         :)

tony..