<VV> Engine Temp Crossing the Desert

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Fri May 23 14:52:40 EDT 2008

Ken, just when and where were you driving that you required all that
preparation? Plenty of water, yes--just in case of breakdown; but I lived in
Phoenix, where it hit 100?+ daytime temps about this time of year and stayed that
way into September--had no air conditioning in my car, and drove many miles,
both to work and for pleasure. I just kept the windows and vents open, and
let the DRY desert breeze--natural or speed-induced--do the cooling for me.
  Smitty says :  Scotty You are right that nobody is likely to die nowdays from having a breakdown in the desert.  But Ken' point is well taken from a standpoint of comfort if nothing else.  A towel for each person in the car and a gallon jug of water can be a godsend when the temps get over 100.  People who have not experienced it don't realize that a wet towel around your neck or draped over your head can get so cold out there that it can give you a headache.  Been there, done that, and may do it again.