<VV> 140 pg engine (RN) question/ opinions

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun May 25 12:49:50 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/25/2008 8:09:13 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
N2VZD at aol.com writes:

in  simple answers , is it worth my while to install  a 140 pg  crank in  a
95
engine i am building for a 64 coupe with a/c? would it be that   much better
on
low end , and still drive ok at highway speeds?
140 pg  block , with 64 jugs and pistons not octane cut , 64 95hp heads ,
140
pg distrib (330) is what i am thinking now.
i just acquired the 140 pg  engine for parts yesterday.
regards, tim colson

Hi Tim,
I think that you have the wrong idea. (sorry to be so blunt). The idea of
the 140hp PG engine was to lower the torque curve by using the 889 cam and then
RAISE the curve back to that desired by retarding the cam. Retarding RAISES
the  torque curve up the rpm range.
So with your 95 hp engine which is standard with the 889 cam, using a 140  hp
crank will raise the torque curve not lower it. As I read your question, that
 is NOT what you want.
Regards,
Bob Helt

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.