<VV> Fwd: still trying to shift into 4th gear

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue May 27 15:24:06 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/27/2008 2:21:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
corvairduval at cox.net writes:

The  coupler, while keyed to the shift tube, still has a slight amount  of
rotational movement with respect to the tube. This adjustment can  cause
lack of reverse engagement.

One last item that may contribute is the strut rod (?) that is brazed to  the
shift tube and then is bolted to the transmittion mount to keep the two tied
together when the powertrain moves.  When the brazed connection to the  shift
tube was broken off due to a rear mount failure I had to fine tune the
adjustments to keep things working right until I could take the tube out to be
replaced.  If the two rubber bushings are shot (just shock absorber rubber)  this
may also contribute to loosness in the linkage.

Bob Hall

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.