<VV> Fwd: still trying to shift into 4th gear

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue May 27 16:57:28 EDT 2008

Early models do not have this strut rod, nor an outer shift tube. But lates
do, and the bushings do need to be in good shape for error free shifting.
Earlies just let the powertrain move independently of the shift mechanism.
You can find yourself in neutral after subjecting the drivetrain to
abnormal movement (say off roading and major speed bumps). ggg

Frank DuVal

One last item that may contribute is the strut rod (?) that is brazed to
the
shift tube and then is bolted to the transmittion mount to keep the two
tied
together when the powertrain moves.  When the brazed connection to the
shift
tube was broken off due to a rear mount failure I had to fine tune the
adjustments to keep things working right until I could take the tube out to
be
replaced.  If the two rubber bushings are shot (just shock absorber rubber)
this
may also contribute to loosness in the linkage.

Bob Hall