<VV> parts that should be salvaged

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed May 28 00:37:14 EDT 2008

As I'm disassembling my project car in preparation for the body shop, I
keep thinking of the parts that will be used in its eventual reassembly.
Things that over the many years of parting out cars should have been saved,
but for whatever reason rarely or seldom were. Worse still, they almost
never show up in the swap meets, and are just plain difficult to locate
anymore. So maybe it's time to bring up that subject. What parts should be
saved in parting out cars?

High on my list are things like interior plastic parts. Especially since I
am particularly loath to painting molded-in-color plastic parts (for
reasons of my own), and that many such parts are prone to being burned to
ash by the sun, broken from misuse/abuse, and often aren't reproduced,
there are a number of such overlooked parts. Things like windlace,
windshield header and backlite strips, "A" pillar covers, 4door "B" pillar
covers, window cranks (particularly '67-9 color-coded ones), door lock
buttons (again '67-9), '67-9 seat hinge covers, kick panel parts, coat
hooks ('67-9), and seat belts of all years. Also (as may be apparent) ANY
4door-specific parts are particularly hard to come by, such as rear arm
rest parts, door sill plates, and the like.

Also one last item comes to mind - what my buddy calls tophat screws (I
call them deep-well screws). That's those special 1/4" hex head sheet metal
screws that are often used to attach heater cables to the dash control
panel. They make the greatest screws with which to attach the rear air
exhaust grille, but are simply unavailable except from salvaged cars.

So what parts are on some of you guys' lists?

-Mark

airvair at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.