<VV> OLD FUEL?

Nick Elzinga starship at worldonline.co.za
Fri May 30 14:43:31 EDT 2008

It all depends how the diesel has been stored.  Low sulphur diesel can have
a shelf life of as little as three to four months.  If stored properly, I
think the general consensus is up to two years, but it depends on
temperature.  It lasts longer in cold conditions than hot conditions.

Chevron have this to say about diesel storage

What special precautions need to be taken with diesel fuel that must be
stored for a long period of time?

While storage stability should not be a concern for the majority of diesel
fuel users, those who store diesel fuel for a prolonged period, i.e., one
year or longer, can take steps to maintain fuel integrity. The steps below
provide increasing levels of protection:

1. Purchase clean, dry fuel from a reputable supplier and keep the stored
fuel cool and dry. The presence of free water encourages the corrosion of
metal storage tanks and provides the medium for microbiological growth.
2. Add an appropriate stabilizer that contains an antioxidant, biocide, and
corrosion inhibitor.
3. Use a fuel quality management service to regularly test the fuel, and, as
necessary, polish it - by filtration through portable filters - and add
fresh stabilizer. This is common practice for nuclear power plants with
backup diesel-powered generators.
4. Install a dedicated fuel quality management system that automatically
tests and purifies the fuel and injects fresh stabilizer.

So if the above steps have not been adhered to, I'd be inclined to toss it
out unless you want to take a chance.  At three years without stabilizer it
will probably be full of microbiological growth and other nasty things like
moisture and algae.  Plastic storage containers are also considered bad
news, as they are often not vapor tight.

You could chuck in some Diesel KleenR +Cetane BoostR and hope for the best.
It comes from Power Service Diesel Additives

http://www.powerservice.com/dk/default.asp

Nick