<VV> Front sway bar hardware

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Fri May 30 16:40:11 EDT 2008

Craig wrote: Also in the future, when someone works on the front end,
they're likely to tighten according to the book, again getting us back to
loosening bolts even if you do it right this time.

John replies: Spurious argument.....even if you're a "Shade-Tree Mechanic",
if you see a
Grade 8 fastener, you should have enough sense to torque it to Grade 8
specs.

Craig replies:
Spurious???

What percentage of folk do you think will know that the grade 8 bolt in the
hole wasn't there to begin with? Do think they'll research it, correctly
conclude that it was originally a grade 5, recognize that it's now a grade
8, know that that requires tighter torque to stay put, and act accordingly,
or will they just tighten it until it feels good with the better wrenches
tightening it to factory specs?  The plan to unilaterally substitute grade 8
because they're "better" plan is a design for failure. I don't agree at all
with the notion of putting in bolts that will require thoughtful special
treatment or they will fall out. What's the point of that?

Craig
(I apologize for my tone, but at the moment I'm really angry with CORSA on
an unrelated matter at the moment.)