<VV> Steering box lube

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sat May 31 15:02:06 EDT 2008

OK guys,

I just received my steering box rebuild kit from one of our venders. I got
the full kit with races. I also got a new nylon pitman arm bushing. I will
not have time to do the job for a week or so. I have studied several manuals
and I don't think I should have too much trouble with it. However, I was
unable to find any information on what lubricant to fill the box with. I
have a gallon bottle of 90 weight that I have had since the 80's. It is left
over from a Mustang rear end & trans job. Is it correct? Is the gear oil too
old to use?

I don't have a problem purchasing the correct stuff but I'd like to use up
that 90 weight if it will be OK. Also, can I use it to top off my 4-speed
trans?

Any input is appreciated

Dave Thompson

63  Spyder vert