<VV> Hockey sticks and terminological exactitudes

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sat May 31 18:39:23 EDT 2008

Yep, I remember the Horrid Red Plastic Thingy debacle... Oy  gevalt!!

In a message dated 5/31/2008 4:03:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
david.neale3 at ntlworld.com writes:

Use of  'alternative' names for motor-car components is widespread and as
old as  the hills.  Whilst engineers from Stuttgart to wherever may well
refer to a particular component as a this, or, for that matter, a  that,
the practice of referring to components by other names is  nothing new.

Components are blessed with other names according to their  geographical
location, too.  What you call rocker panels, or covers,  we in England
call sills.  Our rocker covers are your valve  covers.  Your oil-pan is
our sump. Your convertible top is our hood,  and your hood is our bonnet.
The list, in fact, goes on and on.  In  France, a gearbox, (your
transmission), is a boite de vitesses ... a box  of speeds, literally.
Are they wrong?  Are we  wrong?

Provided that my hockey sticks don't drop off my Corvair whilst  motoring
along a local 'B' road between the Shires to purchase some  aubergines
for our Lancashire hot-pot, (which aubergines I will place in  the boot,
although you'd use the trunk), then I don't give a pig's burp  what they
are called.  I suspect most other people don't,  either!!

Yoiks!  Tally-Ho!

David

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.