<VV> adjusting valves/personal experience

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Nov 2 14:13:10 EST 2008

It's probable a personal failing I know, but the only valve adjustment
procedure that has consistently worked for me on my cars and on the cars of  others
that I have adjusted was to follow the book except that I twist the push
rods as I tighten the rocker bolt and then tighten 3/4 turn after the twisting
stops (keeping your twisting fingers clean and dry).  I like the feeler  gauge
idea though and will try it next time.  Just be sure you have the  push rod
oiler hole at the rocker end to lubricate the rocker ball and rocker  arm, that
the push rod is seated in the lifter, you reassemble matched parts  (mix and
matched rocker parts is asking for trouble) and add a  little moly or cam lube
to all wear surfaces--they're getting old.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Washington DC suburbs
'64 Brier