<VV> Corvair Blueprints DXF files now available!

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 17:24:21 EST 2008

to fellow VV'ers
I think the effort to scan these shop drawings is way cool awesome! the JPEG's are great!
Even more so, the effort(s) to turn the scanned documents into vector based CAD files is all the more intriguing.
Please do not take this the wrong way, but as a CAD dude by day, I was interested in seeing these files and downloaded a couple the the DXF files myself.
In general, there is a high degree of difficulty in turning scanned images from paper, to jpeg, to dxf format. The larger hurdle inherently is changing image based files into vector quality drawings such as dxf, dwg and the like.
On infrequent occasion I have clients come in with there old mechanically-drawn house plans, thinking they could be "just" put into the computer. Not necessarily so.
The technology is certainly here, but its a fussy proposition getting it to transfer with relative accuracy. Their are professional services that do this style of activity for a living, most guaranteeing legibility, edit-ability and scalability with the file translations. I personally have attempted similar file translations on other projects and found it to be time intensive. So much so that I have grown accustomed to just starting from scratch in CAD and referring to hard copy.
The editable nature of the translated dxf files is typically; suspect. So let it be as fair warning if anyone else plans to utilize the files for machining purposes.
Again, the effort is valiant, and I do not wish to rain on the idea, its a great concept to get old shops into the world of CAD! The benefits are endless....
-chris mann