<VV> adjusting valves/fumes

Ernie Sanders epssax at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 16:48:51 EST 2008

Thanks everyone.  This has to be the most informative site for cars on the 'net.  Real world knowledge and suggestions.

1.  I have no fumes now.  My head bolts were as loose as 10-15 ft-lbs! Its a wonder it ran at all.  No more fumes.  It appears the head was leaking enough to spew combustion fumes into the heater intake.

2.  I used the pushrod twist method to adjust valves.  I made sure the oil holes were pointing toward the rocker arms.  I still have a 'pecking' valve on the driver side.  Must be a tad loose?

Thanks.  Ernie in Louisville