<VV> Info needed for setting up a Fun Car Rally (no Corvair)

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Nov 5 14:23:27 EST 2008

Ellie and I have run a number of rallies over the years (most
significantly on our 10th anniversary), and she's set up a couple for
our club (our Corvair club, that is).  If you are setting up a rally
for mostly "casual" participants, then I suggest you avoid directions
that are intended to fool crews and take them off course (course
following traps).  Instead, using riddles or difficult questions
based on what you pass (signs, businesses, landmarks, etc.) works
better.  You can also do what are called "non-course following
traps", in other words even if you make a mistake you'll end up back
on course.

Example:

First direction is "Turn left after barn".  There is a street named
"barn" and a building that is a "barn" (or any other two things that
could be "barn").  Next direction is "Turn left on Route 1".  Trick
to it is there are two streets run parallel and connect to Route 1 on
the other end.  Taking either turn will put you correctly onto "Route
1", but if you take the wrong one you'll miss the answer to one or
more questions.

A neat tie breaker was at one convention, at the checkpoint we were
asked some Corvair trivia questions.  Easy to do for any club
oriented rally.

--Bryan