<VV> Great Western Fan Belt Toss

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 9 20:51:58 EST 2008

Hi All,
I wanted to take the time to let everyone hear my thoughts on this years toss. I was not for the idea of not having it in Palm Springs but I understand why Vintage Corsa moved it. I think Vintage Corsa did a very good job. I did not like the idea of walking around on pavement instead of grass. I also didn't like the idea of the "scooter police" telling my friends 12 year old son he was not allowed to ride his scooter (non motorized). Nor the "jelly police" informing 1 of the vendors they were not allowed to GIVE away a jar of jelly (canned at home) to anyone that made a purchase at their booth. I pulled into the host hotel Friday evening and I had the only Corvair there. The front desk manager did not even know about the Corvair event that weekend. Saturday nite I attended the banquet with my friend Finn Halbo and the one thing we both observed was how few people were in attendance. We counted 58. Certainly it was nice hearing Jeff Williams (the master of ceremonies) as well as Dave Newells historic presentation. Was Corsa West invited? I saw no members from their club in attendance. Nor did I see more than a couple of people from the San Diego or Inland Empire. All in all, I enjoyed being there and I'm happy to report I drove my Rampside 1963 miles without any problems except for a flat tire outside of Barstow. I look forward to seeing you all next year (and more I feel) in Palm Springs.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado