<VV> Mark Ellis

richard shank indyvair at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 15:00:49 EST 2008

It is with great sadness that we learned today of the impending demise of Mark Ellis.  His love and knowledge the Corvair in general and especially the 1969 set him apart from the rest of us.  He along with Dave Newell have authored several authentic books we have available, filled with a treasure trove of priceless information about our favorite automobile.  His hours and hours of endless research have given us boundless amounts of knowledge about our 1969 model.
He asked me in Detroit at the Homecoming several years ago if I would consider being the first President of a club he had in mind to create, the 69er club.  He promised that he would do all of the work of preparation for the Conventions if I would conduct the meetings.  I agreed and he kept his word in a marvelous fashion.
Of those of you who joined  the 69er club, many  not even having a 69, you learned quickly about his thorough research and entertaining knowledge and articles about the 1969.
The newsletters were priceless and outstanding, filled with color pictures of newly found 69's and stories about their history.  He was in relentless pursuit of low mileage and  "new" Corvairs.  No where was their more information about special Corvairs, an example being thr Goodyear Corvair, Yenko Corvairs, special color cars, the one Pinky followed down the assembly line,  and several of the very last numbered ones.  The one goal he never accomplished was to find Vin #6000, but no one else has found it as well!!!
His efforts to create a roster of 1969 Corvairs have more than doubled the number of identified
69's that exist or are known to have existed.
Mark, we are all better persons for having known you and your service to our hobby, God be with you. Mark an I had a brief spiritual discussion in Detroit and he said that God was first in his life, his wife and family were second and his work and Corvairs were the rest of his life.  What a friend we have in Mark.
Eve, our prayers are with you and your family as you gather for this sad occasion.  May God be at your side during these coming difficult days.
As suggested, it wouild certainly seem befitting,  that we have an award, recognizing his love and service to our hobby, Corvairs.
Mark, your time with us was way too short, but we will never forget you - -  -Dick Shank