<VV> japanese cars

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 11 12:56:55 EST 2008

First, when people who buy a Toyoto or Honda (or etc.) say "well, it's
built in the US, and they're employing US people to build them", I reply "
but WHERE do the profits go?" The transplants only USE American labor to
make profits. They have no intention of keeping the profits here. If they
did, they'd move the corporation here. You don't see anyone doing that, do
you?

Secondly, the problems facing the Detroit 3 are not all of their own
making. Some of the problems which they can do nothing about are: foreign
governments that subsudize their industries (directly or indirectly),
governmental monetary manipulation, cheap foreign labor (in the form of low
hourly wages, government-supplied health care, etc.), little or no
retirement plans for both foreign and domestic workers (along with little
or no other non-wage benefits), and the list goes on....

Regardless of the current generous labor contracts, the US workers can
STILL compete with the best from any nation, IF the playing field is level.
Sadly, it isn't.

-Mark