<VV> No oil pressure after sitting for years??

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 21:17:58 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/17/2008 6:10:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
alphaenvirmgt at ctc.net writes:

My Corvair has been sitting for 5-10 years now. I'm trying to get it  going
once again. I just changed the oil and added a fresh oil filter (filled  the
filter before I put it on) and have been cranking the engine (coil wire
disconnected) but my oil pressure gauge is not showing any oil pressure. I  know that
the mid-80's Buick V6 can loose oil prime if it sits too long. Is  that the
case with the Corvair engine?
Conrad

 Not normally...

 What most do on engines that have sat for years / decades  is:

 Remove the distributor.   Use an old broken handle  screwdriver shaft...
chuck in a drill

 Insert flanged end into oil pumps slotted shaft    Turn    CW  at 300 plus
rpm..

 Then when you do get oil pressure .

Rotate the engine several times to move / lube all areas..

Note:  I subscribed you to VV  so you will get answers!

Matt  Nall
All Vairs!
Visit my Webpages!  tinyurl.com/The-Patio
somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay.  OR.