<VV> OIL ADDITIVES revisited?

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 21:18:33 EST 2008

"...any new suggestions on oil additives...tim colson "

(Tim, pleas excuse if you already know all this.)  Tim, (and I fear this post
will unleash a firestorm of discussions), newer oil  formulations, in
general, have reduced levels of zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP).  The reduction of ZDDP
is being driven by the EPA, as ZDDP shortens the effective  life of catalytic
converters. So what's the big deal about reduced ZDDP?  Well, in flat tappet
engines (like our Corvairs), ZDDP lays down a sacrificial  layer of zinc and
phosphorous which protects against lifter and cam lobe wear  (newer engines don't
require high levels of ZDDP, as they all use roller  lifters, or are of over
head cam design). Some folks will say: "so just use  Rotella (or some other
diesel type oil), it still has plenty of  ZDDP." Maybe, but it also has a bunch
of other additives specific to diesel  engines, but not so good for gasoline
engine application. Also, ZDDP is not long  for the diesel world, as big
brother (read: the EPA) has now mandated  catalytic converters for diesel engines,
too. So, what I'm saying, if you  want to be sure your flat tappet engine is
protected (because the motor oil  producing companies are constantly reducing
levels of ZDDP and are not  obliged to post the levels on their "can."), in my
sometimes humble opinion, I'd  add ZDDP back in with every oil change, no
matter which oil I use. To date  (again, in my opinion), the best ZDDP additive is
ZDDPlus. It comes in a  pint container, and when added to a standard 4-5 quart
oil change, brings the  ZDDP level up to that of the good ol' days. Clarks
sells it, as do others.  _http://www.zddplus.com/_ (http://www.zddplus.com/)   I
know I'm  going to regret this post.

Mike  Mauro
**************Check out smokin’ hot deals on laptops, desktops and more from