<VV> 61 Loadside update and questions

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 23 18:33:22 EST 2008

Hi Jamie,

Do you plan on hauling, driving in hilly country?  I'd either go with a 3.55
or 3.89.  If you plan on lots of hauling/hill climbing then I'd lean more
toward keeping the 3.89.  With the truck, your noise is out back unlike the
vans so you won't notice the higher engine speeds in your ear.  We have the
3.89 and I'll tell you that it is nice when you're hauling around weight as
it hardly afffect acceleration.  Usually we have stuff over the engine
compartment so we live with the higher engine speeds.  I think it's around
3,600 rpm at 65 mph.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

>Also if the rear end is junk I have two options. I have a 3:27 ratio rear
end lying around or I know a
>club member who is willing to sell me a parts van at a great price. I see
the 3:27 was an option in the
>FCs. Is the 4-speed and the 3:27 rear end a livable combination or should I
stick with 3:89 gears?  Thanks >in advance for all your helpful replies.