<VV> 61 Loadside update and questions

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun Nov 23 14:23:06 EST 2008

Jamie,

Here are a several points which are subject to opinion, of course.

1.)  The cylinders are fairly robust.  You may be able to use them as-is
especially if the cross hatch pattern is still good.  Check them for roundness
with an inside diameter gage and if they are OK and there is no obvious problems
observed, I would use them.  You should check them for roundness at several
levels from top to bottom.  If you are still nervous about using them as-is, you
should feel safe getting them bored out.  ...... or you can send them to me.
:-)

2.)  The stock 102 HP engine is not a good engine for an FC.  It was only
offered on the FCs for part of one year (1963, engine code VD) until they found
that the torque and HP kicked in at RPMs too high to be useful.  In effect, the
extra weight and poor aerodynamics of the FC, pretty much kept this very high
compression engine at low RPMs where it would lug and knock.  This may have
contributed to its premature failure in the truck.  Other than the turbo
engines, the 102 was the HOT 145 CI engine in the cars at one time.  As you may
recall, I said the STOCK 102 engine is not ideal for use in FCs.  I have no idea
if the distributor has been changed, the heads have been modified for better
quench or if any of a multitude of changes have previously occurred over the
years to make your particular engine a better candidate for the truck.  In any
case, I agree that the present heads may have overheated and should be replaced.

3.)  If your engine is a VD or other truck engine, it is valuable simply
because it is a real truck engine.  Most FCs have car engines in them these days.
You can take any FC block and turn it into a 110 HP with modification to the
block and swapping of other parts including the crank from a 164 CI engine.
You will have an engine identifiable as belonging in a truck and you will have
more HP and torque where you can use it.  The only original 164 CI engines (95
and 110 HP) were offered in 1964 and 1965.  They are quite rare and valuable
especially the 1965 engines.

Good luck,

Doc
1960 Vette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965 Greenbrier;
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop
In a message dated 11/23/2008 9:00:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,