<VV> 61 Loadside update and questions

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Nov 23 23:25:00 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/22/08 7:14:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jtreinhart at omnitelcom.com writes:

> The cross hatch pattern is still very visible in the .040 over jugs with
> new pistons. No. 1 and 3 pistons have a quarter of an inch missing from the
> bottom of the piston all the way to the oil rings. Cylinders are dark colored
> and several valves in the 102 HP heads are blue in color. It takes at least 600
> degrees to turn steal blue. I would guess the heads are junk. I may bore the
> cylinders to .060 just for the fun of it or bore some other cyls.

Hi Jamie,
Since no one has mentioned this concern, I thought that I would. If this is a
102 as you reported with the jugs already bored 0.040 over, then I certainly
would be concerned about the head gasket sealing area.

EM engines in stock form already don't have enough area there. That is why
the 1965 and later engines all use an increased gasket surface. Jugs bored 40
over are already  marginal in sealing surface and to even consider going larger
is a major mistake in my opinion.

In addition, I would be very concerned about the roundness of these jugs. Any
jug already overbored and subjected to this kind of heat has got to be
distorted. Why would you want to even consider reusing these jugs?

If I were you I would toss all of these jugs and set an 0.030 overbore limit
on any EM engine.

Regards,
Bob Helt