<VV> Is that engine a 110hp or 95hp?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 22:30:53 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/26/2008 7:23:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Donnellyf7 at aol.com writes:

I'm in  the process of looking for a 1965-69 Monza P.G. to  purchase.  My
question is how can you tell if the Corvair you are  about to buy is  a 95hp
or
110hp. Even if the rear engine lid has the 110 emblem  on  it, could it be a
95hp
engine that was installed many years later?   I  want to purchase a Monza
with
a 110. Thanks for all your  help.  Jerry  Donnelly

Jerry - Do you have access to the application number stamped on the  case
halves, between the top shroud and the oil filler casting? Right at the  back of
the motor.  With some cleaning off, and a flashlight, you should be  able to
read the application ID stamped there. You need to look straight down to  read
it. The ID ends with one or two letters, like RD or RL or RM -  something like
that. It is almost always two letters on late model  motors. That will
"usually" give the best indicator of the original  application of that motor. There
is a listing of all the codes in several books,  including the Corvair Decade,
many of the parts manuals as well - maybe even the  Clarks or Underground
catalogs. Or  - you can post it here and people will  look it up for you. There
are some external indicators, like the pulley instead  of a balancer, but those
could have easily been changed over the past 40  years.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette

AOL.com.