<VV> Drive your Corvair Day... I sure did!

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 23:36:33 EDT 2008

Hey guys & gals,
Well, I let the Jetta diesel rest for a few days and I drove the 700  sedan
yesterday and today, out to the Dr's office and then to the college... I'd
been putting over 110 miles/day on the Jetta since I'd been going to work on the
lady's UltraVan... I'm certain the fancy retro-fitting of the 79-85 Riviera
rear  disc brakes/hub bearings needs a little modification... the shock mount
bracket  (1/8" steel plate welded) has been modified so the parking brake lever
has a  nice range of motion on the right side, but the left side has not been
modified,  and the bracket has only an inch or less of movement (the shock
mount needs  grinding, and there's plenty of mount there, so it won't hurt the
structural integrity... I really don't know why it wasn't done in the first
place, but one never knows).... I also think it needs a bigger master cylinder
on it... it looks like a 67-69 style MC, but the rear calipers are about
2"...  I've been told it is probably a "drum/drum" MC, and I need a  "disc/drum"
MC... I'll see what I can find out... I know it takes two full  pumps of the
pedal to get a good grab on the brakes...
Yesterday I drove the Corvair out to the car wash, and gave her a good
bath... then out to the college and had several waves and smiles from the
students... my instructor is rather fond of the car, since it is so different  from
everything else... he's got a 67 VW Squareback, and recently sold his 70 VW
Beetle, so he speaks aircooled, even though it has a Wolfsburg twang...
This morning at the Dr's office he saw me get out of the car and met me at
the door... he wanted to see it, the engine, the trunk... and my 64 700 isn't a
 show car... it's more of a daily driver... It was in the mid 50s this
morning,  so I had the heater going.... when he opened the door, he said "I thought
these  cars had crappy heaters! It's toasty in there!" I explained how one
must  "preventive maintenance" in order to keep it working properly, in much the
same  way he is helping me... (he's a chiropractor, and is helping me
immensely! You  would not believe how "out of whack" my spine is, mostly from being on
crutches  for 2+ years!)... afterwards, I drove to school and spent the rest
of the  day there.... I drove home, about 60 MPH, not in a hurry, just
enjoying the view  of the changing colors on the trees....
:-)
If I go anywhere Friday, it will be in the 700.... unless I drive the Jetta
up to the neighbor's garage and change my oil...
;-)
Y'all have a great weekend!!!
Later,
Lonzo