<VV> Drive your Corvair Day... I'm getting closer !

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Oct 3 12:09:16 EDT 2008

Hi Shaun,

Well, it depends on who the "you" is (how's that for grammar? :-)  I
wasn't really referring to a mechanical limit, more that I wouldn't
expect someone doing this for the first time to get it timed
exactly.  I'm quite sure that if the "you" is really "you" (or
perhaps even "me" :-) that the timing will be dead on - I did one
last weekend and it required no additional adjustment.  But I didn't
want Charles too hung up on getting it perfect when adjusting it to
within a degree or two is sufficient to fire the engine.

I should point out that I find the main reason it will be
significantly wrong is that the spark fires just as the points open,
and it's easy to get mixed up as to which side of the points lobe you
need to be on.  I find turning the crank with a wrench while the cap
is off helps me keep it straight.

BTW, I couldn't drive a Corvair yesterday - the '66 was my only
choice, and I'd heard some gear whine when I drove it a little after
the piston transplant.  I did jack it up last night, and sure enough
the diff is kind of dry.  I'll pour some in tonight and take it out
this weekend, tho.  Hopefully the leak isn't too bad for now.

--Bryan