<VV> Drive your Corvair Day

P.H. Raker n556p at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 18:59:50 EDT 2008

Yesterday was VERY rainy in NW Michigan.  I didn't need that, so I didn't drive the Green Hornet - currently my only running 'Vair.  This morning was glorious!  I drove to the Post Office and then the 15 miles into Cadillac.  The temperature was under 40, but the 'Vair's Direct Air Heater worked just fine, thank you.  Lots of people on the roads noticed the Corvair with looks of appreciation.
     At the gas station in CAD, I had a nice conversation with a fellow who said he used to have a '62 700.  He loved the car.  When he saw my 'Vair, I think he was wishing he still had his.
     Along the way I passed a group of 8 cars going the other way.  All different colors, but each was one of those Plymouth , open wheel factory street rods from about 5-10 years ago.  I forget what they were called.  They were apparently traveling together for a color tour or something.  I kept my head straight ahead, but turned my eyes to look.  All the drivers were looking at my 'Vair.  Not sufficient time for a "thumbs-us" or anything, but they were definitely looking.
     Who was driving the TRULY different and attention-getting car today?!?!?!

Phil Raker
'65 Corsa Cpe - 140/4
'63 Greenbrier - 110/4 (group red)

-