<VV> battery fire?

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sun Oct 5 20:25:29 EDT 2008

i have pictures of a 12volt car battery from my coleman home backup
generator that was the cause of a serious fire here recently. the  real  cause was a
charger that went bad (diodes failed?) and fed ac to it long enough  to dry it
out and arc. this was determined by fire investigators from an  insurance
com[pany.
so to shorten up the story i ask was the battery boiled dry (then arcing  and
exploding hydrogen fumes) by over voltage / current? have you also had
unexplained bulbs failing?   have you checked voltage?
i run a voltmeter in the dash on my cars where a head temp gauge should go.
you can even buy one to plug in the cigarette lighter socket to monitor.   not
a bad investment to keep an eye on regulators etc.
regards, tim colson