<VV> sunken float fun!

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sun Oct 5 20:38:58 EDT 2008

today was our annual "fun fall tour". well it was fun  for me until my  truck
started acting goofy about 65 miles or more from home. one carb was just
pouring fuel out the shafts.  it ran fair if you kept it up to 3000rpm or  more.
not easy to do with a powerglide in some areas we were in , but i made it.  At
one stop i was able to take the filter stone out and dump rust out of it.
that did not help. now there is a lot more to this , like i drove it over 100
miles yesterday without a hint of any troubles , those carbs were on the last
motor running fine also.
anyhow when we got home i removed that sucker , poured the gas into a paper
towel , saw a fair amount of fine metal filings.  but the float was heavy  on
one side. so i put a new float in it  , drove it @4 miles and it runs  great
again now.  i finally found a very small pinhole on the inside of the  float.
how it decided to happen like that is another of the many mysteries  around me
lately. i am sure glad to have gotten thru the whole tour and not burn  the
truck to the ground today.  it was a fun day...(with a few pictures to  prove
it).
next projects include  1: change the oil , 2: change the plugs ,  3: install
a humongous fuel filter somewhere on it.    maybe i  will also check the other
carb.
regards, tim colson