<VV> Cold adjust valves story

Charles Lee chaz at ProperProPer.com
Thu Oct 9 17:33:16 EDT 2008

Plus, the car was warm from the few miles I was able to drive, waiting
for it to get better, as the service manager assured me would happen. It
didn't.
Since the engine was now inoperable, I just set them to zero lash, to
get it running, then got soaked in hot oil as I re-adjusted them
running.
I didn't have any "half-covers" with me.
It was fun cleaning oil off of me with snow for the ride home.
I swore off letting mechanics touch my car(s) until recently when I had
no choice, but have, again, learned never to let 'professional'
mechanics touch my car.
The nice thing about California is their BAR and the 'strict liability'
of the courts regarding mechanics.
A California mechanic is 'not entitled to compensation' for any work
performed, regardless of the quality of that work, if the mechanic is
unlicensed, **OR** is found in violation of **ANY** California statute
when inspected by the Bureau of Auto Repair (BAR).
The California BAR can't do anything directly, but their report can be
used in court, and you will win.
This is not legal advice, but simply telling you my recent experience,
and the joy listening to the mechanic trying to explain to a judge who
gave me everything I asked, without question, because the mechanic did
not have receipts for the "new" parts he claimed he installed.
I got more than double what I paid him, AND he paid without a fight,
probably because he does this to so many that the few who sue him don't
even put a dent in his profits.
The BAR in Riverside County is 951-782-4250, and they are VERY
aggressive.

Charlie