<VV> safety wake up

Dennis PLEAU ddpleau at msn.com
Mon Oct 13 21:58:51 EDT 2008

I went to open my folks garage this afternoon and heard a big bang and the door got really heavy.  One of the springs broke.  It didn't hit anybody, but did leave a big dent in an antique carpenters tool box that belonged to my great uncle.  Garage door springs have a lot of energy and the old ones don't have a a cable through them to contain them when they break.  We found a crack in the other spring.  My folks bought the house new in 52, so they have had a lot of cycles on them.  Tonight they have two new springs.  I was opening from the outside, so I was some what protected, being on the inside would have been a lot more exciting.  If you have springs old enough to not have arresting cable through them, you may want to replace them.

Dennis