<VV> Garage Door Spring

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Oct 14 13:47:51 EDT 2008

All:  I had a spring break in our garage door a couple years ago.  The
garage was built in 1971 by the previous home owner, and I assume the spring
was original, as I had not replace them during ten years of ownership.  The
18 inch long piece of spring bounced off the roof of my wife's Dodge
Avenger, leaving a nice impression as it passed.  It apparently happened
during the night, as my first clue was finding the spring on the floor after
entering thru the people door.

Could have taken a head off if one of us had been walking between the wall
and the car as it broke.

I had the spring system replaced with one which goes across the header of
the door opening.  It has a has a couple coils springs with a bar going down
the center.  Spring could break, but it has no place to go.  The spring
breaking is not common for old systems according to the guys who replaced my
system.

A good thick cable (with strong cable clamps) thru the spring should work
OK, provided you don't get any interference during use.

At first, I thought the subject was the springs in the car door.  Anybody
have any problems with them breaking at a unfortunate time?

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice

Message: 1