<VV> paint removal my unwanted opinion

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Wed Oct 15 07:06:56 EDT 2008

sandblasting around here for larger stuff or very rusty things is better  off
done at the monument place.  they charge a dollar a minute and get it  done
fast. i took ten rusty cutlass sport wheels to them and they came out  perfect
(these were so bad they were GIVEN to me!) . charges were $60.00 total  for 10
wheels!.
i would have beat my brains out in my home T I P cabinet doing that nice a
job to bad rust.  they have been on my truck and van several years now with  no
problems.
to do a car , i would start with paint remover chemicals , if i was doing  it
at home. maybe sandblast a few tougher areas , but the everlasting mess is a
pain. took years to get the sand to stop draining from hidden areas on my
rampy  after extensive sandblasting (23 bags worth!).  i stripped one of my 62
vettes with a case of spray gasket remover and some thinner in 2 days outdoors.
 a little sanding and it was almost paint ready.
i have a 7hp air compressor and a blast cabinet from tip (about 1975?)
running a 1/4 inch nozzle. it does my small parts and sheet metal vair stuff. i
would definitely hire out a full body job if it was to be blasted.
no matter how you do a whole car , it is dirty hard work. i would even
consider just sanding it off with a da or even a good electric sander. try to  stay
away from the glass and stainless .with todays fancy primers that should be
fine.  go ask a PRO body man about it.
the secret is details like careful masking and removal of as many parts in
the way as you can.
i share these ideas because of what i have actually done , plus what i have
seen done around me.
good luck.
tim colson   --  looking forward to doing 2 more of my  own corvairs soon.