<VV> Proper Tire Pressure?

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Oct 15 14:02:01 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/15/2008 1:03:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bwschug at charter.net writes:

On Oct  15, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Ken Lundy (Home) wrote:

> I just purchased a  set of Firestone FR380 radial tires.
> Size: P185/80R13.
> They  are on a 1964 Monza Convertible – 110 HP.
> What is the recommended tire  pressure front and rear for these tires?
> Regards,

As you  already have, you'll get lots of answers to this question.
There is  no "right" answer. The only thing that you must adhere to is
to  inflate the rear tires about 10 pounds more than the fronts. This
can probably vary from 8-12 pounds, but 10 is the rule of  thumb.

Beyond that, it is pretty much how you want the car to feel. You  might
like 18 in the front. Another guy will feel he likes 22 better  because
it gives him easier steering and a little better steering  response. A
third Corvair owner may use even more than 22.

I  suggest you start with maybe 22 in the front and 32 in the rear and
see how it feels to you. Then, you might go up to 26/36 or down to
18/28 and see. At some point, you'll find where you're comfortable,
where it just feels best to you.

You may feel that 18-22 is pretty  low for radials, and you would be
right. But remember, Corvairs  don't have a lot of weight on the front
end - it's all  relative.

Bruce

To add to others' good advice I'd say try it at the manufacturer's original
pressures for a week or so just to remember how it felt new and then go to a
slightly higher pressure  to suit your taste.  I run 18-22 in the  front and
28-30 in the rear on my LM's.  I only bring this up because I am  occasionally
suprised by some owners who have never driven a Corvair with stock  tire
pressures with the 10 pound differential--and they are  always pleasantly suprised
at how sweet handling and stable the car  is--especially at highway
speeds--when set up as Chevy intented.

Bob Hall