<VV> Pg flare and tire pressures

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Wed Oct 15 19:33:17 EDT 2008

The Powerglide in my 1965 Monza 4-door has flared from low to drive for
3 years now.  I've changed fluid and cleaned the screen and no change.
Just drive it and forget it.
It also doesn't go into reverse when cold for about 5 seconds.  It
always goes in and when warmed up it is fine.  Just drive it and forget
it.
The weight distribution on a Corvair is 40% front and 60% rear.  Divide
40-60 by two and you get 20-30 which is pretty close to the recommended
tire pressure.  I was always afraid of rolling a front tire off the rim
at only 16 pounds (factory recommended) so I run my radials at 22-32 and
it does fine.  Last month I drove my Corvair 1600 miles to Vermont,
toured for 4 days and drove back home.  No problems and it got 22MPG at
freeway speeds and slower in Vermont.  Much better than my 1998 Chevy
pickup with injection and overdrive would have gotten.
Clark Hartzel