<VV> A fine mess of a 110

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Oct 16 11:38:25 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Last weekend we went and picked up the running gear that had been
pulled out of a rusty '64 Monza - parted out by a non-Corvair guy.  I
got the bits for not too much, to spread out between a couple of our
projects and another club member.  The 110 was interesting, it had an
Otto pulley and an alternator conversion (good in my view) but VW
plug wires (bad).  The engine turned, but wouldn't fire, so I offered
the guy what I thought the core was worth and we brought it home
along with the suspension.

Yesterday evening I did a little more investigating.  The plug wires
weren't in their usual orientation, so I thought I'd figure out where
#1 TDC was and see if the dist was 180 out.  This is where things got
interesting (scary).  Pulling the plugs, I took out Champion RN12YC -
a 3/4" reach plug.  Uh-oh.  Then, turning the engine seemed to result
in a compression stroke on every revolution of the crank for #1.
Hmm.  Tried #2, and found *no* compression.

At this point I'm thinking one of two things.  My first guess is that
somebody decided to give the engine a "good tune up" and "knew" it
must need a valve adjustment.  Second guess is the cam gear key or
the gear itself is broken.  I'd have expected some bad noises when
cranking the engine with a bad gear, so I'm going to pull the valve
covers and have a look to see if the valves are moving and if the
adjustment is way out.  Hopefully the engine isn't completely trashed.

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa