<VV> Attention grabbing stop !!

Ebarr19 at aol.com Ebarr19 at aol.com
Fri Oct 17 19:45:28 EDT 2008

Hi all
  My wife and I just got home today from a trip to Illinois and Michigan to
visit family. Yesterday while going through the tunnels on I-40 about 35 miles
west of Ashville NC. in the second tunnel all traffic had to make a panic
stop, I moved to the left lane which had the most room, got stopped and watched
the rear view mirror and listened for the crunching of metal which there was
none !!! But sat in the center of that tunnel which is on a curve and you can
only see about six or seven cars in each direction for 15 to 20 minutes with no
movement. It was caused by a Semi that had cought on fire about 6 or 7 miles
from that tunnel.
  I am glad that I am an autocrosser as having control of your car in a panic
situation is important and I think autocrossing helped a lot. I am also a
pilot and have never had an attention grabbing situation like this before. Had a
crash or fire accured in that tunnel it could have been major. I'm glad
Florida does not have such tunnels.
  Thanks for listening and start Autocrossing
Gene Barr