<VV> DIY Crash course media blasting

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sat Oct 18 12:45:31 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/16/2008 10:35:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
GBrandes at loebermotors.com writes:

I  had mine bead blasted but you have to be very careful when painting to
make  sure all the hole are plugged as the media you use will be blown
out by a  spray gun and get into the paint.  The beads are still coming
out of  places 3 years later!

Regards,

Guy Brandes

65  VAIR  140
Had mine done several years ago and liked the results.  Only thing  was I
had the powder coming out from any place it could get to for  several
years including interior.  Need to tape and enclose any place  it could
get into that you don't want it.   Ken

I feel  like media blasting, like my whole car, after I strip her of
mechanicals  and trim, etc.

Anyone feel like throwing out some tips, like equipment,  air compressor
strength, media, amount of pressure required, clean up, post  blasting
rust protection, excreta.

I can't stand red anymore, this  lm convertible should be blue like it
was when new.

crazy chris  mann

To second (or third) the above, Earnie (RIP), the body and paint man who
stripped and painted cars five times for me, had a strong opinion against  any
power stripping for the same reasons listed above based on his earlier
experience.  He told me the last time his shop did it he let an  experienced
apprentice do the bead blasting and the apprentice "upset"  the metal in several places
which were difficult to hammer out.  When he  did my jobs he applied marine
and aircraft paint strippers by hand on  the body and then sanded to minimize
residue in the body cavities.  On  the last of my cars (a repaint and change
from silver to red paint) he told me  he was too old and too smart to do the
detail work for the hinges and grill  areas so he gave me a side of the shop and
I did the stripping evenings and  over several weekends.  I learned to respect
the tenacity of the Fisher  Body paint doing that--at least in the hidden
areas.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Washington DC Suburbs